- Department of Philosophy, School of Humanities, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
- Australian, British
- Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Adelaide.
- University (CUF) Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Oxford, and William Kneale Fellow and Tutor in Philosophy, Exeter College, Oxford.
- Tenured (‘Reappointed to retirement age’), March 2009.
- Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, September 2016–February 2017.
- Department of Philosophy, Monash University, November–December 2010.
- PhD, Philosophy, Princeton University.
- MA, Philosophy of Science, Princeton University.
- BA (Hons), Philosophy, University of Melbourne.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Areas of Specialisation
- Metaphysics, Philosophy of Probability, Philosophy of Physics, Philosophy of Language, General Philosophy of Science.
- Areas of Competence
- Philosophical Logic, Epistemology, Early Modern Philosophy (particularly Descartes, Cavendish, Locke and Hume), Philosophy of Mathematics.
Google scholar h-index: 9
- (ed.) Philosophy of Probability: Contemporary Readings, Routledge: London. (Includes more than 50,000 words of peer-reviewed editorial matter.)
Journal Articles (Peer-Reviewed)
- ‘Chance, Determinism, and Unsettledness’, Philosophical Studies. [PhilArchive]
- ‘Persistence, Vagueness, and Location’, Journal of Philosophy 113: 507–32. [doi:10.5840/jphil20161131035] [PhilArchive]
- ‘Multiple Location Defended’, Philosophical Studies 173 (8): 2215–31.
- ‘Deterministic Chance’, Noûs 45 (2): 269–99.
- ‘Mathematics and Conceptual Analysis’, Synthese 161 (1): 67–88.
- ‘Telling Tales’, Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 107 (2): 125–47.
- ‘Reply to Stone on Counterpart Theory and Four-Dimensionalism’, Analysis 67 (2): 159–62.
- ‘Randomness is Unpredictability’, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 56 (4): 749–90.
- ‘A Note on Dolby and Gull on Radar Time and the Twin “Paradox”’, American Journal of Physics 73 (10): 976–979.
- ‘Twenty-One Arguments against Propensity Analyses of Probability’, Erkenntnis 60 (3): 371–416.
Book Chapters (Peer-Reviewed)
- ‘Probability’, pp. 417–39 in Paul Humphreys (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Science, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Probability and Randomness’, pp. 440–59 in Alan Hájek and Christopher Hitchcock (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Probability and Philosophy, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Is the Past a Matter of Chance?’, pp. 126–58 in Alastair Wilson (ed.), Chance and Temporal Asymmetry, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Chance versus Randomness’, in Edward N Zalta (ed.) Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (major revision 2012),
- ‘Perdurance and Location’, pp. 53–94 in Dean W. Zimmerman (ed.), Oxford Studies in Metaphysics, volume 5, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Duration in Relativistic Spacetime’, pp. 113–7 in Dean W. Zimmerman (ed.), Oxford Studies in Metaphysics, volume 5, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Causal Structuralism, Dispositional Actualism, and Counterfactual Conditionals’, pp. 65–99 in Toby Handfield (ed.), Dispositions & Causes, Oxford University Press.
- ‘Pragmatic Causation’, pp. 156–90 in Huw Price and Richard Corry (eds.), Causation, Physics and the Constitution of Reality: Russell’s Republic Revisited, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- ‘Yuri Balashov, Persistence and Spacetime’, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, 2011.09.24.
- ‘A Causal Theory of Chance?’, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 35 (4): 883–90.
- ‘A J Cotnoir and Donald L M Baxter, eds., Composition as Identity’, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 94: 190–3.
- ‘Helen Steward, A Metaphysics for Freedom’, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 91: 833.
- ‘D H Mellor, Probability: A Philosophical Introduction’, Mind 115: 773–7.
- ‘Tim Maudlin, Truth and Paradox’, Philosophical Quarterly 56: 455–7.
- ‘John Hawthorne, Knowledge and Lotteries’, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 83: 451–2.
- Elements of Deductive Logic, free, open source textbook for introductory-intermediate logic course. Creative Commons CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
- ‘Philosophy and Probability’, Exeter College Association Register: 55–58.
Presentations (forthcoming and previous two years)
(¶=keynote, †=contributed, others invited)
- December 2017
- ’Stakes and Standpoints’†, NZAP Otago.
- July 2017
- ’Quantum Location’†, AAP Adelaide.
- presenter, Sydney Winter School on Physics and Philosophy of Time.
- February 2017
- ‘Regionalism and Persistence’, FAU-Erlangen.
- January 2017
- ‘Regionalism and Physical Qualities’, LEM forum, CeLL, Institute of Philosophy, London.
- ‘Quantum Location’, Philosophy of Physics seminar, University of Oxford.
- ‘Tense, Time, and Passage’, University of Reading.
- ‘Domesticating Metaphysical Indeterminacy’, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- November 2016
- ‘Supendurantism’, eidos, Université de Neuchâtel.
- ‘Temporalism and Relativity’, MCMP, LMU-München.
- July 2016
- ‘Yablo on Confirmation’, About Aboutness workshop, University of Melbourne.
- ‘Endurance and Spacetime’†, AAP Monash.
- April 2016
- ‘Temporalism and Relativity’, University of Melbourne.
Prior to this, talks at: AAP† (multiple), Aberdeen, ANU (multiple), Australian Metaphysics Conference† (multiple), Aristotelian Society, Arizona Ontology Conference, Auckland, Barcelona, Bristol, British Society for the Philosophy of Science, BSPS conference† (Sussex), Cambridge (Serious Metaphysics Group), Canterbury (NZ), Carolina Metaphysics Workshop, Causal Republicanism† (Centre for Time, Sydney), CRNAP Modality workship (Princeton), Fictionalism (Manchester), From Here to Eternity: Temporal Experience and Transformation (Centre for Time, Sydney), Université de Genève, Hume’s Metaphysics and Humean Metaphysics (University of Tampere) La Trobe, Leeds, Leeds HPS, Levels of Causation workshop (IHPST, Paris), London Logic & Metaphysics forum, LSE (Sigma Club), McGill, Melbourne, Metaphysics of Science¶ (Nottingham), Metaphysics of Science (Melbourne), Monash (twice), Nature of Indeterminacy workshop (Leeds), Notre Dame, Nottingham (thrice), NYU, NZAP† (multiple), Oxford, Oxford (Philosophy of Physics, twice), Paris Diderot (PhilMath Seminar), PERSP Space & Time Workshop on the Open Future (Barcelona), Philosophy and Probability International Summer School† (Konstanz), Philosophy of Probability Graduate Conference III¶ (LSE), Time, Agency and Causation (Centre for Time, Sydney), Time Symmetry (Centre for Time, Sydney), Time Travel and Probability (Centre for Time, Sydney), UIC, UMass Amherst, VUW, Williams College.
Primary supervisor except where noted.
- Khristos Nizamis, Perception: Intentionality and Physicality (Adelaide, PhD in progress).
- Katherine Dormandy, Rationality: An Expansive Bayesian Theory (Oxford, DPhil 2012, secondary supervisor).
- Barbara Vetter, Potentiality and Possibility (Oxford, DPhil 2010, secondary supervisor).
- Luke Fenton-Glynn, A Probabilistic Analysis of Causation (Oxford, DPhil 2009).
- Michael Lazarou, An Object Level Account of Metaphysical Indeterminacy (Adelaide, MPhil in progress).
- Mark Coleman, Realist and Anti-Realist Approaches in Philosophy of Science: Perspective and Representational Pluralism in Scientific Discovery (Adelaide, MPhil 2016, secondary supervisor).
- Seungil Lee, Restricted Material Composition (Oxford, BPhil 2012).
- Harjit Bhogal, Laws and Modelling in Economics (Oxford, BPhil 2010).
- Luke Fenton-Glynn, Causation and Causal Explanation (Oxford, BPhil 2006).
- John Poland, Dispositions and Laws of Nature (Oxford, BPhil 2006).
- Honours/Undergraduate Theses
- Trevor Smith, Light Signals and Preferred Foliations: Presentism and the Relativistic Objections (Adelaide, BA (Hons) 2016).
- Julia Mak, Fine’s Standard Realism as an A-Theory (Adelaide, BA (Hons) 2015).
- Astrid Lane, Negative Causal Claims (Adelaide, BA (Hons) 2014).
- Charlotte Lawrence, Structural Realism – a middle way? (Oxford, MPhysPhil 2006).
- Matthew Hodgetts, Mereological Nihlism (Oxford, BA 2006).
- University of Adelaide
- Undergraduate lectures:
- Introduction to Logic (S2, 2017 [with Jon Opie]).
- Philosophy of Religion (S1, 2018).
- Epistemology (S2, 2017).
- Foundations of Modern Philosophy (S2, 2017; S2, 2015 [with Jordi Fernández]; S1, 2013 [with Greg O’Hair]).
- Logic, Truth, and Reason (S2, 2015; S2, 2013).
- Metaphysics: Identity, Time, and Freedom (S1, 2015; S1, 2013).
- Philosophy of Language (S1, 2018; S1, 2016; S2, 2014).
- Logic II (S1, 2014).
- Research (MPhil/honours) seminars:
- Formal Methods in Philosophy and Related Disciplines (S1, 2017). Course site
- Unsettledness: Time, Possibility, and Indeterminacy (S1, 2015). Course site
- The Nature of Space (S1, 2014). Course site
- Philosophy of Probability (S2, 2013). Course site
- University of Oxford
- Undergraduate lectures: (a) Elements of Deductive Logic (H 2009, H 2010). (b) Philosophy of Probability (M 2008). (c) General Philosophy (H 2007 [with Ben Morison and Oliver Pooley]). (d) Probability and Induction (H 2005).
- Graduate seminars: (a) Philosophy of Science (BPhil class, H 2012, H 2011, H 2010 [with Simon Saunders]). (b) Metaphysics and Theory of Knowledge (BPhil class, M 2007 [with Ofra Magidor]; M 2006; H 2006); (c) Philosophy of Probability (M 2012, T 2009); (d) Fictionalism (H 2008); (e) Causation and Explanation (M 2005); (f) Philosophy of Probability (Reading group, M 2009 [with Anna Mahtani]) (g) Faculty member, MLE Seminar (T 2009).
- BPhil supervisions: Metaphysics, Theory of Knowledge, Philosophy of Science.
- Lectures in Philosophy of Science component of Masters in Public Policy, Oxford Blavatnik School of Government (H 2013).
- Exeter College
- Undergraduate tutorial courses (all multiple terms): (a) History of Philosophy from Descartes to Kant; (b) Knowledge and Reality; (c) Philosophy of Science; (d) Philosophy of Logic and Language; (e) Formal Logic; (f) Intermediate Philosophy of Physics; (g) Philosophy of Mathematics; (h) Introduction to Logic/Elements of Deductive Logic; (i) General Philosophy.
- Undergraduate thesis/extended essay supervision: 5 past students.
- Princeton University
- Tutorials in Philosophy of Physics: Quantum Mechanics (S 2001) and Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (F 2000).
- University of Melbourne
- Tutorials for Introduction to Formal Logic and Logic and Rationality (Semester 1, 1999).
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Carl Friedrich von Siemens Research Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for Experienced Researchers, October 2016–March 2017, €22,780.
- Member of research network, Metaphysical Indeterminacy, AHRC-funded project at University of Leeds (PIs: Elizabeth Barnes, Ross Cameron, and Robbie Williams)
- British Academy Overseas Conference Grant, £900.
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK) Research Leave Scheme: Counterfactuals, Chance and Ability, grant ID No: AH/E003184/1, £23,445.
- MA (by resolution), University of Oxford.
- Mrs Giles Whiting Foundation Honorific Fellowship in the Humanities.
(Earlier grants and awards omitted.)
- Australasian Association of Philosophy
- Treasurer, July 2014–.
- Board member, July 2015–.
- Chair of Finance Committee, July 2015–.
- Member of Executive, July 2015–.
- Member of Council, July 2014–July 2015.
- Member, 1999–.
- Aristotelian Society.
- Society for the Metaphysics of Science.
- Member of Editorial Board, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 2010–.
- Member of Editorial Panel, Thought, 2012–.
- Member of Editorial Committee, Oxford Philosophical Monographs, 2011–3.
- Editor, ‘Chance and Determinism’ category, PhilPapers, 2009–,
Journals: Analysis, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Biology and Philosophy, British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, dialectica, Ergo, Erkenntnis, International Studies in Philosophy of Science, Journal of the American Philosophical Association, Journal for General Philosophy of Science, Mind, Monist, Noûs, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophia Mathematica, Philosophical Review, Philosophical Studies, Philosophy Compass, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Philosophy of Science, Ratio, Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, Synthese, Theoria, and Thought.
For details of recent reviews, see my Publons profile.
Books: Oxford University Press, Harvard University Press, Cambridge University Press, Acumen, Palgrave (Macmillan), Bloomsbury, Routledge.
Research Grants: Israel Science Foundation, National Science Foundation (USA), Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Thesis Examining
- Talia Sellars, Time-Travel, Causation, and the Direction of Time (PhD, Auckland, 2014);
- Natalja Deng, Time, Experience, and the A- versus B-debate (DPhil, Oxford, 2010).
- Tenure/Promotion Cases
- Two as external reviewer.
- Conferences Organised
- Part of organising committee AAP 2017 (Adelaide).
- Organised Adelaide Philosophy Work in Progress Colloquium, University of Adelaide, February 2016.
- Organised Philosophy of Probability Mini Conference, Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford, September 2009.
- University of Adelaide
- Head of Philosophy, 2018–20.
- Postgraduate Coordinator (Asian Studies, Art History, Education and Philosophy), 2017.
- Philosophy Honours Coordinator, 2015.
- University of Oxford
- Director of Graduate Admissions, 2010–12.
- Member, Working Group on Strategic Planning, 2011–2.
- Member, Graduate Studies Committee, 2009–12.
- Member, Mathematics and Philosophy Joint Standing Committee, 2009.
- Member, First Year Review Group (review and revision of first year provision in all joint schools involving philosophy), 2008–10.
- Member, Undergraduate Joint Consultative Committee, 2005–7.
- Joint President of the Philosophical Society (speaker series), 2005–7.
- Joint Convener, Philosophy of Science Research Seminar, M 2005.
- Search committees, Pembroke College and Somerville College, 2005–06.
- Graduate examining: BPhil options: Metaphysics and Epistemology (2005–07; 2008–11), BPhil theses (2005, 1 thesis; 2007, 2 theses; 2008, 2 theses; 2009, 2 theses; 2010, 1 thesis; 2011, 2 theses), MSt Theology theses (2011, 1 thesis).
- Undergraduate examining: Examiner, PPE, 2011–14; Physics and Philosophy Mods 2009–10 (Chair, 2009); Mathematics and Philosophy Mods 2009–10; Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology, and Philosophy and Theology Prelims, 2005–07.
- Exeter College, Oxford
- Member of Rector and Tutors Committee, 2010–13.
- Tutor for Graduates, 2010–11.
- Member of IT committee and staff committee, 2008–10.
- Philosophy (and joint schools) admissions interviewing, 2004–12 (Group organising secretary in PPE, 2009–10).
- Member of governing body, 2004–13.
Last updated: Mon 15 Jan 2018 16:23:49 ACDT.